The old townsite of Christmas, Arizona is located in the Dripping Springs Mountains, between Winkelman and Globe. The first claims were staked about 1880, and then purchased by Phelps Dodge in 1882. Operations were limited until political manipulation and restaking by a new owner on Christmas Day of 1902. The mine then operated periodically up until 1980 when all operations ceased. Today, little remains of the Christmas townsite.
Waste Dumps and Open Pit at Christmas in Background
Christmas Townsite in Foreground
Arizona Geological Society photo by Mike Conway, 2014
Headframe, conveyor, and milling facilities at the Christmas mine, 1960
2011-03-1443, ADMMR Photo Archive, Arizona Geological Survey
Note: The feature photo above (Distant view of Christmas Mine) is from: travel.allwomenstalk.com/places-called-christmas-where-santa-doesnt-live/3/