The following is a summary of the Mineralogical Society of Arizona (MSA). To learn more about the MSA, please visit their website.
The first meeting of the Mineralogical Society of Arizona (MSA) took place on December 4, 1935. Twenty people attended this meeting at the Arizona Museum on West Van Buren Street in Phoenix. MSA meet for decades at Arizona Mineral Museum and now meets at Franciscan Renewal Center in Scottsdale, Arizona.
The first club field trip was held on January 19, 1936; members traveled to Squaw Peak (now Piestewa Peak) in Phoenix to collect kyanite. The driving force behind the beginning and early success of the MSA was Mr. Arthur L. Flagg. He was president for the first 15 years, during which time the organization grew to become the largest mineral club in Arizona and the United States. The club newsletter, The Rockhound Record, was first published in November 1941 – Mr. Flagg served as newsletter editor for 20 years. From the beginning the club had a mineral collection built from donations. It was exhibited at many places around Phoenix, but over the years some of the specimens became lost or were sold.
The MSA is still a very active club with monthly field trips and special programs. Current club information, history and recent newsletters can be found on the website www.msaaz.org.
A biography of Mr. Arthur Flagg is available online in the Biographical Archive at www.minrec.org, and on the MSA website.
Today the MSA collection consists of nearly 100 specimens and 18 of the finest Arizona specimens are on exhibit at University of Arizona Mineral Museum (UAMM) in Tucson, Arizona through November 30, 2024. Please visit UAMM to check out the many great exhibits as well as our sister organization Flagg Mineral Foundations special mineral exhibit.